Jmix – the future of CUBA Platform

Hi @Narayanan,

Thank you for your question - this is a good one. There is a list of different reasons :slight_smile:, let me share some from the top of it:

1. Spring ecosystem is an absolute leader among enterprise developers. See this report. We build a product for the wide market and are trying to use mainstream tech.
  2. Jmix as CUBA is targeted at business applications, but not headless microservices. The whole point of Quarkus, as well as Micronaut, is to minimize memory footprint and boot time. These two are not the case for business apps.
  3. Quarkus introduces its own modules and not compatible with vast Spring Boot starters, which are even hard to compare…
  4. Quarkus is a member of JavaEE family, while CUBA always used Spring. So, for the majority of CUBA community, it seems to be much easier to adopt Spring Boot and migrate their existing apps.

Regards,
Aleksey

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

The 0.2.1 bugfix version of the Jmix plugin has been released to the JetBrains plugin repository.
If your IDE doesn’t see the update, please uninstall the plugin and install it back from the Plugins -> Marketplace tab.

List of fixes:

• NoSuchFieldError in CubaKtClassOrObjectTreeNode when opening the CUBA project with Kotlin entities
  • Fix support of calculated properties in Entity Designer
  • Add quick fix for “Instance name is missing” inspection
  • ArrayIndexOfBoundException on the first page of project creation wizard
  • ClassNotFoundException during start when using plugin with IDEA Ultimate Edition
  • NoClassDefFoundError when using Jmix plugin while having Kotlin plugin disabled
  • Suggest additional data types for Calendar properties in Component Inspector panel
  • Unnecessary deletion of a unique constraint in the MySQL DB
2 Likes

Impressive agile progress.

Hi Cuba team
All this moves look very good to me. However, It’s not clear where we are heading to with current Vaadin 8, Are we upgrading it to 14 or moving completely to any other frameworks? Vaadin 14 looks very good and the PWA capability.

Ops…
Intellij IDEA Community 2020.3 does not see an update of Jmix plugin.
But after deleting 0.2, detects and installs the new version.

You can check latest blog about Jmix roadmap.

1 Like

The Jmix roadmap looks fantastic. Looking forward to the next releases.

Hi Jmix team…
Jmix will have Multitenancy with different schemas?

Hi Jmix team,

We are currently evaluating using CUBA/Jmix to rewrite one of our commercial applications. We are aiming for a release with a limited set of capabilities somewhere around Q2 - 2021(full release by the end of the year). Out of the top of my head, for the first part of the migration we would need a functional backoffice, a frontend UI and some business processes.

Would you say it is safe to start developing in Jmix or would you rather advise that we use the CUBA version?

Thanks in advance,
Andrei

We have immediate plans for implementing multitenancy only in the current approach with a single database and schema.

2 Likes

Hi Andrei

In order to help you make a decision, I will tell you about our plans on Jmix releases.

In February 2021, we are going to release v.0.3.0, where all features planned for 1.0 will be implemented.
In March 2021, we are going to release 1.0.
After that, we are going to make feature releases (1.1, 1.2, etc) every 4 months, so 1.1 will be released in July 2021, 1.2 in November 2021.
Between feature releases we will make mainenance releases (1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc) with bugfixes, as we do for CUBA.

The dates are not set in stone of course, but it’s our firm intention at the moment.

Release 1.0 should be fine for creating new applications. In 1.1 we are going to introduce the support for migration from CUBA in Jmix Studio.

On the other hand, CUBA is now very stable and will be supported for 5 years since 7.2.0 (March 01, 2020) for free and 5 more years on commercial basis. We now make CUBA bugfix releases approx. every 2 months, perhaps the pace will be slower in the future.

Regards,
Konstantin

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Kotlin in Jmix Studio

Hi…
As the front-end development evolution remain inevitable… Do i think correct, that the flutter is more better option than react? Now the Flutter Web stable release been out…

And many enterprises started to adopting it… I also know that u have a small team to do the R&D on Flutter… What could be the abstract timeline for the Flutter integration…?

Thanks in advance…

1 Like

Hi there

I’ve been using the Jmix Studio preview, which a month ago asked me to start a free trial. Now the free trial is expired and it won’t let me start a new trial. Should I buy Jmix Studio yet? But the License and Pricing page is stil saying that it’s a free preview.

Hi Tobia,

Unfortunately, in the latest Jmix Studio version the licensing module was turned on by mistake, so the premium functionality requires an active subscription.
Next week we are going to release the next preview version where it is fixed and all functionality is available for free.

Regards,
Konstantin

Eager to know the planning on Flutter. I don’t see anywhere in the diagram that indicates the position of Flutter but we know a team within CUBA is working on it. It will be good if some additional visibility is available in terms of planning.

Hi All,

Let me make some corrections to the plans announced in my previous comment.

We’ve just released Jmix 0.9.0, please see the blog post. It’s the last preview version, and we are not going to make any substantial changes in the existing APIs anymore. It means that if you start developing with Jmix 0.9 now, you can expect a relatively easy migration to 1.0.

We are working on bug fixing, documentation, and add-ons.

The final release 1.0 is scheduled for June 2021. After that, we are going to make feature releases each 4 months, so 1.1 in October 2021, 1.2 in February 2022 and so on.

Regards,
Konstantin

3 Likes

hi there, is this still official?

bugfix releases until March 2025?

On the other hand, CUBA is now very stable and will be supported for 5 years since 7.2.0 (March 01, 2020) for free and 5 more years on commercial basis. We now make CUBA bugfix releases approx. every 2 months, perhaps the pace will be slower in the future

Hi Ronald,

Yes it’s official: Versioning – CUBA Platform
The latest (at the moment) CUBA patch 7.2.20 was released in Nov, 2022.

A post was split to a new topic: Filtering problem