You have an error in your SQL syntax

Hello,
I’m fighting this issue now for some time. The automatic update mechanism doesn’t work here. On creation of an index I get an error:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: 
=================================================
ERROR: Data store update failed. See details below.
Error executing SQL script 201210-2-updateRule01.sql
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'create index IDX_INVOISARY_RULE_ON_PROVIDED_RULE on INVOISARY_RULE (PROVIDED_R
UL' at line 2
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdaterEngine.executeSqlScript(DbUpdaterEngine.java:389) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdaterEngine.executeScript(DbUpdaterEngine.java:447) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdaterEngine.doUpdate(DbUpdaterEngine.java:252) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.ServerDbUpdater.doUpdate(ServerDbUpdater.java:82) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdaterEngine.updateDatabase(DbUpdaterEngine.java:103) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdateManager.updateDatabase(DbUpdateManager.java:76) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdateManager.applicationInitialized(DbUpdateManager.java:61) ~[na:na]

This is the particular SQL line:

create index IDX_INVOISARY_RULE_ON_PROVIDED_RULE on INVOISARY_RULE (PROVIDED_RULE_ID);

If I execute this line in the mysql console on the same server, it works… So I’m thinking it must be the MySQL JDBC driver.

Any ideas?

Hi,
The SQL line from the error message differs from the SQL you are providing below.

One:

create index IDX_INVOISARY_RULE_ON_PROVIDED_RULE on INVOISARY_RULE (PROVIDED_R
UL

Second:

create index IDX_INVOISARY_RULE_ON_PROVIDED_RULE on INVOISARY_RULE (PROVIDED_RULE_ID);

So the most probable explanation is that the application deployed on the server has another version of the 201210-2-updateRule01.sql file with broken SQL.

Hi @AlexBudarov, thanks for your answer.

I thought that the SQL line in the error message is truncated, but if not that’s an interesting point. Although I didn’t change anything manually and the file in the repository is correct.

I fixed this particular error manually, but this problem pops up every now and then, so I will consider your comment the next time I have to investigate and will report back here.

Happened again, this time the whole SQL line is printed in the error log:

ERROR: Data store update failed. See details below.
Error executing SQL script 201215-2-updateRule01.sql
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'update INVOISARY_RULE set PROVIDED = true where PROVIDED_RULE_ID is not null' at line 2
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdaterEngine.executeSqlScript(DbUpdaterEngine.java:389) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdaterEngine.executeScript(DbUpdaterEngine.java:447) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.DbUpdaterEngine.doUpdate(DbUpdaterEngine.java:252) ~[na:na]
        at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.dbupdate.ServerDbUpdater.doUpdate(ServerDbUpdater.java:82) ~[na:na]

Contents of 201215-2-updateRule01.sql:

update INVOISARY_RULE set PROVIDED = false where PROVIDED_RULE_ID is null;
update INVOISARY_RULE set PROVIDED = true where PROVIDED_RULE_ID is not null;

… and again, I have no problem running this statement in the mysql console manually.

Interestingly the first line, which is almost the same, throws no exception.

OK, which MySQL version do you use?
Also, can you please show your build.gradle file cleared from password (more specifically, we need dependency string on mysql JDBC driver library).

build.gradle excerpts:

buildscript {
    ext.cubaVersion = '7.2.10'
def mysql = 'mysql:mysql-connector-java:8.0.22'
configure(coreModule) {

configurations {
        jdbc
        dbscripts
    }

dependencies {
        compile(globalModule)
        compileOnly(servletApi)
        jdbc(mysql)
        testRuntime(mysql)

task buildUberJar(type: CubaUberJarBuilding) {
    singleJar = true
    appProperties = ['cuba.automaticDatabaseUpdate'    : true,
                     'cuba.dataSource.jdbcUrl'         : 'jdbc:mysql://localhost/dbname?useSSL=false&allowMultiQueries=true&serverTimezone=UTC',
                     'cuba.dataSource.username'        : '...',
                     'cuba.dataSource.password'        : '...',
                     'cuba.dataSource.dbName'          : '...',
                     'cuba.dataSource.host'            : '...',
                     'cuba.dataSource.port'            : '',
                     'cuba.dataSource.connectionParams': '?useSSL=false&allowMultiQueries=true&serverTimezone=UTC',
                     'cuba.dataSource.driverClassName' : 'com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver',
                     'cuba.dataSourceProvider'         : 'application']

}

Server version: 5.7.12 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

Changing the delimiter from ; to ^ will resolve the error, but I still don’t know why. I know that ^ will execute the statement in its own transaction, but that shouldn’t be the problem.

Also, the example I gave is a custom made SQL file, but CUBA also auto generates SQL files which won’t work.

Maybe I can make a test case for this.

Ok, I couldn’t reproduce the issue with a new test project, that I run locally. Maybe it has something to do with the Aurora DB engine.

1 Like

A little update: It looks like the error only appears with the newer MySQL 5.7 Aurora database engine.
I didn’t encounter this problem on a project that uses the MySQL 5.6 Aurora database engine.