[YARG] Error with "number format" - how to debug?

Hi:
I am building my first report in YARG. I am getting the following error:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Z6"
 at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.ServiceInterceptor.aroundInvoke(ServiceInterceptor.java:127)
 at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor109.invoke(Unknown Source)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethodWithGivenArgs(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:629)
 at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethod(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:618)
 at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAroundAdvice.invoke(AspectJAroundAdvice.java:70)
 at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:168)
 at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:92)
 at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:179)
 at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:213)
 at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy123.createReport(Unknown Source)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at com.haulmont.cuba.core.sys.remoting.LocalServiceInvokerImpl.invoke(LocalServiceInvokerImpl.java:95)
 at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.remoting.LocalServiceProxy$LocalServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(LocalServiceProxy.java:146)
 at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy230.createReport(Unknown Source)
 at com.haulmont.reports.gui.ReportGuiManager.getReportResult(ReportGuiManager.java:207)
 at com.haulmont.reports.gui.ReportGuiManager.printReportSync(ReportGuiManager.java:191)
 at com.haulmont.reports.gui.ReportGuiManager.printReport(ReportGuiManager.java:177)
 at com.haulmont.reports.gui.report.run.InputParametersWindow.printReport(InputParametersWindow.java:62)
 ... 62 more

I certainly understand that “Z6” is not a number. How do I figure out what is happening? How do I know what cell has an issue?

Answering my own question yet again for anybody else who might refer to it. I took a very close look at my “Named Bands” in the template and found errors. I had a band defined as a single cell instead of a horizontal range.

So, the best practice seems to be when you get very strange errors, start with the band definitions in the template and make sure they are correct.

It would be great if there were better error messages.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for reporting the problem. We have created a YouTrack issue, see the link on the right.

:ticket: See the following issue in our bug tracker:

https://youtrack.cuba-platform.com/issue/PL-8710