Why is Cuba-Platform not more widely used (or known)?

I have over 33 yrs of programming and have been programming all my life.
I have gained experience in many frameworks out there over the years and have developed many successful applications out there in the business world.
I discovered and started to use Cuba-Platform for about 1yr now and must say that I rate it as the best platform/framework I have ever seen. It is indeed an amazing product.

SO, I keep wondering why is it that is not more widely known than it is now ? I expected it to be on everyone’s top 10 list but now and then I see where it is recommended by a developer here and there.
Maybe it is our job as developers to promote it more ? It will benefit us all at the end of the day in any case :smile:

Thumbs up to the Cuba-Platform team ! :+1:

22 Likes

Agreed Robert, absolutely.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words!
And this is really a very good question - why CUBA is not widely known and popular? We obviously need some luck :slight_smile: but what should we do from technical/marketing perspective?
What do you think?

1 Like

Hi @robert.gilbert,

Thank you a lot, this is very inspiring!

We appreciate active members of our community who help us to spread the word the platform. This is very important for any Open Source product so the community takes a significant part in the promotion.

Here are some helpful options, sorted from most trivial ones to most comprehensive:

1. Star us on GitHub or upvote on ProductHunt - the easiest way to support us which won’t cost any efforts at all :slight_smile:
  2. Help other community members by answering questions on the Support forum
  3. Write a review on specialized websites like g2.com or alternativeto.net
  4. Post your own useful guides, recipes, advice in the forum How-To’s section
  5. Translate and post articles from our blog on your local resources
  6. Write your own article about CUBA and post it on dzone.com, habr.com or similar resources
  7. Participate in local events, like Java User Group or similar
  8. Send Pull Requests on GitHub for fixing bugs, adding new functionality, localizations or add-ons

Let us know if you decide to write an article or conduct a webinar or anything else - we will be happy to support such initiatives!

Regards,
Aleksey

1 Like

Hi Cuba team and community,

Konstantin asked for inputs from the technical/marketing perspective. I’d like to share some thoughts on this - If you’re in a hurry, just read the last 2 chapters.

Short intro: I’m working as a technical consultant and project manager for a medium sized ERP company for more than 10 years. In this role I work at the interface between software development and management and customer requirements.

One of the major issues in the field of enterprise software is sustainability and continuity. What does this mean? So, you are a company developing and selling an enterprise software (like for ex. an ERP system). First, your clients mostly pay an initial price for the software, then, your clients pay monthly or anual maintenance fee for the software (this is absolutely normal in the field of business software).

As you charge this recurring fee, you as a company are obliged by law (I can only talk for Europe, but I assume this is the case everywhere) to deliver some sort of service and/or product. In most cases you will improve your product and release service packs or major releases and continue to charge your fee. At least each major release requires you to give a warranty of up to five years for your clients that the software is functional and meets regulatory requirements.

So you will need a development platform where you can be fairly sure that it still works in the next 5 years. So basically it all burns down to liability and continuity.

Cuba platform is based on Java technology and opensorce frameworks. But it also comes with a big amount of Cuba specific code - of course, this is what makes the platform so efficient to use - however, you commit yourself to the Cuba platform. If you as a company commit yourself to such a specific platform, this poses a significant risk. Managers don’t like risks…They rather let develop the functions Cuba platform has from scratch by themselves, so they are (or feel themselves) in control of the things :slight_smile: Is this clever? Maybe. Is this efficient? No.

So you (Cuba team), have to adress these risks and the resulting reluctance of decisionmakers. Important points are. What happens if Cuba is not further developed and what are possible exit strategies from the platform. I know these are no cool questions, but they have to be answered for the decisionmakers.

I’m talking from experience, our company is currently stuck with an old framework which is no longer supported. It will cost us 2 to 3 mio EUR to change frameworks.

Regards

Guido

4 Likes

I agree with @robert.gilbert, I feel same way.
Fore more than 1 year I am trying to switch to Cub-Platform but lack of learning resources is a big huddle, specially for me who is totally new to Java world.

Hi Amit. Welcome to the Java world !
What languages are you familiar with? I would recommend you going through the Videos under the LEARN section of cuba-platform.com

Hi @amit.k.bhagat,

I would recommend you to follow the Quick Start, Documentation, Guides - everything can be found under the Learn section of the website.

Fore more than 1 year I am trying to switch to Cub-Platform but lack of learning resources is a big huddle, specially for me who is totally new to Java world.

This sounds very interesting, I see you registered 3 days ago and asked only one question. I would expect more active behaviour on our support forum, from a guy, who learn CUBA for over a year :). So, don’t hesitate to ask questions here :).

Regards,
Aleksey

Well, not really spent a whole year :slight_smile: , I spent very little time to explore and experiment.
I was working as consultant for an organization to develop solution with different technology where I found Cuba-Platform an excellent fit and I was confident that Cuba-Platform could be game changer.

1 Like

Hi!

IMHO maybe you should promote a demo showing how to scale out a CUBA-developed app with Kubernetes and how to deploy apps on AWS, Heroku, and others

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion, we’ll consider it!

2 Likes

Hi,

I am evaluating Cuba-platform to replace legacy applications where I work (Java 7 with EJB/SOAP, mainly). I’m enjoying what I’m seeing, but 3 things bother me at the moment.

1. There is not a single book about Cuba. Could someone on the team to publish a book?
  2. The main GUI is based on Vaadin 8 and Vaadin is already in version 16! It seems that Vaadin 16 does not support all the features that Vaadin 8 supports (drag and drop?), but I fear there is platform obsolescence. Furthermore Vaadin makes my architecture area wrinkle their noses… If it were up to date there would be no objections, I hope.
  3. Gradle, Spring and other components should be more updated, as JHipster does. Ok this can compromise platform stability, but on the other hand it shows more activity.

Regards,
Wanderlan

Thank you for expressing your concerns.
I think the most serious one is about Vaadin 8. In case you didn’t see, there is a blog post about our position regarding it: Vaadin 10+ as the Future of CUBA UI.

Regards,
Konstantin

Hi, Konstantin

One of the best practice to keep customers up to date on Cuba Platform future plan could be post the every next year roadmap, like you began to do in CUBA Platform Roadmap 2018 – Jmix

This practice could avoid this kind of misunderstandings.

What do you think?

Regards,

Hi Xavier,
Yes, I agree. And there will certainly be the roadmap for 2021, I promise.

Regards,
Konstantin

5 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: No internet on the PC