Pre-Commit on a nested table

Hello,

The dsContext on my Contractor Editor has a nested collection datasource to the projects:

<dsContext>
        <datasource id="contractorDs"
                    class="com.company.ppm.entity.Contractor"
                    view="contractor-view">
            <collectionDatasource id="projectsDs"
                                  property="projects"/>
        </datasource>
    </dsContext>

Now, when I attach a new project to the contractor, I have to edit it so that I can enter the award date and the contract sum. I would like to have the a pre-commit condition (or alternative way) that checks if there is a contract on the list that doesn’t have these two fields filled out and prevent you from saving.

If I have only one project, it works as desired. But if there is one project with the fields already filled out, my code doesn’t work. How can I have it check the individual projects to identify one that doesn’t have?

package com.company.ppm.web.contractor;
import …

public class ContractorEdit extends AbstractEditor {

@Inject
private CollectionDatasource<Projects, UUID> projectsDs;

@Override
protected boolean preCommit() {
    if (projectsDs.getItems().iterator().next().getContractSum() ==null || projectsDs.getItems().iterator().next().getAwardDate() ==null)
    {
        showMessageDialog("Validation Error", "Contract Sum & Award Date Cannot Be Null. Edit Project and Fill in the details.", MessageType.WARNING);
        return false;
    }
    }
    return super.preCommit();
}

}

Regards,
Kenince

Hi Kenince,

At first sight, the code in your preCommit() method checks only the first element of the collection, and you need to iterate through all the elements in datasource, for example:

@Override
        while (projectsDs.getItems().iterator().hasNext()) {
            if (projectsDs.getItems().iterator().next().getContractSum() == null || projectsDs.getItems().iterator().next().getAwardDate() == null) {
                showMessageDialog("Validation Error", "Contract Sum & Award Date Cannot Be Null. Edit Project and Fill in the details.", MessageType.WARNING);
                return false;
            }
        }
    }

By the way, why not just making these attributes required or using the bean validation mechanism?

Hi @shiryaeva,

Thanks for this. I’ll try it out.

The reason why I can’t make them required is that they are keyed in at a different stage in the process i.e. after the project has already been created and undergone several stages.

It’s at this point that they are assigned to a contractor and that’s when the user is expected to key in the contract sum and the award date.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

This one gives a continuous loop and freezes the application.

This alternative worked!

@Override
            for (Projects p : projectsDs.getItems()){
                if (p.getContractSum() == null) {
                    showMessageDialog("Validation Error", String.format("Contract Sum & Award Date Cannot Be Null. Edit Project %s and Fill in the details.", p.getName()), MessageType.WARNING);
                    return false;
                }
            }
        }
1 Like