Jmix Roadmap 2021

This is a separate topic to discuss team plans for the current year and beyond, as published in our blog. Your feedback is very welcome!

1 Like

Thank you team for posting the roadmap 2021.

And thank you for making cuba open source quite some time ago :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

Our use cases with the cuba platform are “backend ui only” in the sense that we depend on not needing to concern ourselfes with the web client stack (html, css, javascript and frameworks).

I deduce from your announcements that it is undecided what will be the client stack for the backend ui in 2022 and beyond.
You did a very good job on the current backend ui - Please keep that up and keep investing in the generic ui approach. Whether the “invisible” web client stack of the backend ui is Vaadin or React or … is of no concern for us now and should also be in the future of no concern.

Thanks
Oliver

2 Likes

Hi Oliver. We actually plan to continue both clients to give you the freedom of choice. Vaadin will stay to facilitate “Java-only” development, while we will try to make React based client as productive as Vaadin-based, but of course requiring some JS stack knowledge. So you can be assured that you will not lose anything in any case.

There is something I wonder why not to continue with vaadin? the 14 LTS version is modern, fresh and fast. Is it a problem of compatibility, technology, licensing, components, what is it? to decide to create a new web client in React?

Regards,

Nelson F.

Hi Nelson!
As I mentioned in the article, we plan to provide both options: Vaadin and React. React is obviously a mainstream technology for web UI offering better scalability, while Vaadin is very convenient for Java developers. You will be able to choose the client according to your preferences.
The only reason why we have not yet migrated to newer versions of Vaadin is that they are still changing dramatically from version to version and missing many of the components we need. For example, you can see that they are just about to complete the migration of components from Polymer to Lit in Q1.
So, we plan to continue with Vaadin and I expect that we will be able to upgrade Vaadin version in 2022.

As there are so many questions around the frontend technology, I’d like to clarify our plans a bit. In short, instead of offering a single “main” option (React or Vaadin or whatever), we are going to offer multiple (React and Vaadin and hopefully Flutter and … ). So please do not worry: Vaadin UI will remain an important and well supported part of Jmix. React is an addition, not a replacement.

7 Likes

Thank you @andrey.glaschenko

That’s very good. This will help to be productive in both stateless and stateful applications from the same Jmix framework. This is going to differentiate jmix from other platforms and so do the developers!! I’m so excited and can’t wait for the stable version of jmix with all those awesome features.

1 Like

Thank you Andrey for sharing your plans - sounds good to me!

1 Like

Now the Flutter 2.0 supports stable version of Web UI. We are very exited about the prospects of having flutter front end generator similar to react js and react native.

Appreciate your effort put on those stuff to help developers jump start on the development of front end ui.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s great news! Thanks for the heads up, I’ve been waiting for Flutter Web Stable.

Hello, thanks for sharing the roadmap. I am looking to adapt Jmix in my organisation but I would like to know your existing Customers list and the maturity of development community. Could you please point me to the same?

Jmix is a descendant of CUBA and we’ve just released the first version. For now, we have several pretty big customers that use CUBA for their production systems: TAB Bank, Russian Ministry of Health, Keyholding and some others.

The framework is being developed since 2008 and used by about 20K developers around the world.

1 Like