Exclusion Constraint in Postgres doesn't display a custom message

Hello,

I was trying to apply a date range uniqueness constraint, I am using Postgres so i used a postgres exclsuion constraint, and i defined a custom message for the index in the messages.properties under the Web module -like other unique indexes i have custom messages for-, but unfortunately it’s not showing in the error that gets displayed, the constraint is defined as:
ALTER TABLE VP_WORK_SCHEDULE
ADD CONSTRAINT IDX_VP_WORK_SCHEDULE_UNQ
EXCLUDE USING gist
( COUNTRY_ID WITH =,
COALESCE(SECTOR_ID, ‘00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000’) WITH =,
daterange(START_DATE, COALESCE(END_DATE, ‘infinity’), ‘[]’) WITH &&
);

and the error message is:

PSQLException: ERROR: conflicting key value violates exclusion constraint “idx_vp_work_schedule_unq”
Detail: Key (country_id, COALESCE(sector_id, ‘00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000’::uuid), daterange(start_date, COALESCE(end_date, ‘infinity’::date), ‘[]’::text))=(f7ad4216-480b-5261-c1c2-a5cd97166a4a, 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, [1990-01-01,infinity)) conflicts with existing key (country_id, COALESCE(sector_id, ‘00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000’::uuid), daterange(start_date, COALESCE(end_date, ‘infinity’::date), ‘[]’::text))=(f7ad4216-480b-5261-c1c2-a5cd97166a4a, 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, [2000-01-01,infinity)).

the message defined is:
IDX_VP_WORK_SCHEDULE_UNQ = Work Schedule is Overlapping with another Work Schedule

Hi Tarek,

Have you defined the cuba.uniqueConstraintViolationPattern property in your application?

By the way, could you please use triple back quotes for code blocks and error messages.

Hi Olga,

Thanks for your reply, I have defined the cuba.uniqueConstraintViolationPattern property. but I am not sure that’s the problem as the other normal unique constraints have custom messages defined for them in the main message pack and displayed correctly. I think the problem lies in that the framework doesn’t recognize the constraint created as

ALTER TABLE VP_WORK_SCHEDULE
ADD CONSTRAINT IDX_VP_WORK_SCHEDULE_UNQ
EXCLUDE USING gist
( COUNTRY_ID WITH =,
COALESCE(SECTOR_ID, ‘00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000’) WITH =,
daterange(START_DATE, COALESCE(END_DATE, ‘infinity’), ‘[]’) WITH &&
);

as a unique constraint. as technically it’s not a unique constraint but an exclusion constraint.

Hi Olga,

Any reply please. Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

What message have you defined? The standard one considers only unique constraints:
ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "(.+)"
Modify the pattern to cover exclude constraints, too.

I already defined the following entry in both app.properties and web-app.properties:
cuba.uniqueConstraintViolationPattern = ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint “(.+)”

but the exclusion constraint is not showing this error message, although other normal unique constraints are displaying the custom error message when violated.

That’s what I’m talking about: you’ve defined the custom message for the unique constraint only. Modify it to add the exclusion constraint, too. (By the way, the standard PostreSQL message for it is ERROR: conflicting key value violates exclusion constraint).

how to modify the pattern, also is there a way to put custom message for individual exclusion constraints in the main message pack

HI,
If you want to specify separate messages for Exclude and Unique constraint violations you can extend UniqueConstraintViolationHandler and implement any logic you want there.

public class MyUniqueConstraintViolationHandler extends UniqueConstraintViolationHandler {

@Override
    protected boolean doHandle(Throwable throwable, WindowManager windowManager) {

String excludeStr = "ERROR: conflicting key value violates exclusion constraint";
        Pattern excludePattern = Pattern.compile(excludeStr);

Pattern uniqPattern = clientConfig.getUniqueConstraintViolationPattern();

if (excludePattern.matcher(throwable.toString()).find()){
            windowManager.showNotification("Exlude Constraint violation", Frame.NotificationType.ERROR);
            return true;
        }

if (uniqPattern.matcher(throwable.toString()).find()){
            windowManager.showNotification("Unique Constraint violation", Frame.NotificationType.ERROR);
            return true;
        }

return false;
    }

}

Then register the custom bean in web-spring.xml: add the following string (define the reference to your class):

<bean id="cuba_UniqueConstraintViolationHandler" class="com.company.sample.web.myhandlers.MyUniqueConstraintViolationHandler"/>
1 Like