Embed image from FileDescriptor in a Jasper Report

I have a requirement to display an Image uploaded to an entity in a spreadsheet generated by a Jasper Report. This same image must also be displayable in a table on a screen.

The entity itself has a FileDescriptor object and the file itself is stored in FileStorage on the server. I can display it on a table with no issues.

How do I get that into a Jasper Report as an Image? My Jasper Report is currently based on SQL, so I would need to be able to load it with SQL somehow. The solutions I’ve seen refer to using a parameter, but that won’t work when each image is attached to its own entity.

If the image were stored as a BLOB or ByteA in the database, then I’ve seen documentation on how it could be loaded: Using Images stored in a database for reports. But Cuba Platform doesn’t handle images that way, does it? Can the user upload an image to a ByteArray in the database? If I manage to do that, how can I display that ByteArray as an image on a screen?

Or is there a better solution?

Hi,
Do you use Reporting+Jasper Report integration or run Jasper Reports by your code?

A long time ago I wrote my own Custom Report object that interfaces with Cuba Reports. So, it’s kind of a mashup between your two options. :slight_smile:

The version I use right now passes parameters by putting them in the root band of the report. It also passes the Cuba/Ds JDBC connection to Jasper. The executed Jasper report has its own SQL statement and executes it over the Cuba/Ds connection.

I have a partial solution already, but I am not happy with it. I created a BLOB/ByteArray object in my database in addition to a FileDescriptor field. I upload to the FileDescriptor to make Cuba happy and allow Images to be displayed on screens. I then copy the image from the FileDescriptor to the BLOB and store that directly in the database.

In the JRXML, I add the BLOB object to the SQL with a type of java.awt.Image. I embed an image in the report with the same type(java.awt.Image) and set the field expression to be the column in my SQL.

It works, but I now have two copies of each image on my server - one in your file storage and the other in the database.

In a perfect world, I would be able to tell Cuba to load the image directly to the BLOB instead of FileDescriptors and use those directly in my Data Containers.

Maybe you have a better option for me?

In a perfect world, I would be able to tell Cuba to load the image directly to the BLOB instead of FileDescriptors and use those directly in my Data Containers.

Or

• As far as I remember JasperReport supports function in parameters. Reporting addon adds a function that allows using bitmap images in a JasperReport. The function can be used as:
    <imageExpression><![CDATA[$P{REPORTING}.bitmap($F{Main.image})]]></imageExpression>

Function is registered as a standard report parameter in a parameters map
    com.haulmont.yarg.formatters.impl.jasper.CubaJRFunction.
    So your function can load an image from the filesystem by file descriptor identifier.