Emailer SSL issue

Hello guys,

i get an SSL issue when trying to send a Mail via Google SMTP Server. I am using the following Mail application settings:

cuba.email.fromAddress = *myMailAddress*
cuba.email.smtpHost = smtp.gmail.com
cuba.email.smtpPort = 465
cuba.email.smtpAuthRequired = true
cuba.email.smtpSslEnabled = true
cuba.email.smtpStarttlsEnable = true
cuba.email.smtpUser = *myMailAddress*
cuba.email.smtpPassword = ********************************

The error when i am e.g. try so send a mail to myself via JMX Console sendTestMail() is the following:

*my mail address* : Mail server connection failed; nested exception is javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465;
  nested exception is:
	javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target. Failed messages: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.gmail.com, port: 465;
  nested exception is:
	javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

i’ve already imported the smtp.google.de certificate to the java cacerts keystore via OpenSSL and Keytool. When i check for the imported certificate via

.\keytool.exe -list -v -keystore "..\jre\lib\security\cacerts" -alias smtp.gmail.com

it tells me that this certificate exists in the cacerts keystore.

Can someone tell me what i am missing? Is there a environment variable or some kind of start parameter for the tomcat server i have to set, so the tomcat knows where to look for the keystore.

Thanks in advance
Daniel

Hi,
Which java version are you using?

You can try to add debug logs for SSL handshake, as desribed here: Debugging SSL/TLS connections

Some of our clients send mail via smtp.gmail.com without problems.
If it helps you, here are our email sending properties:

cuba.email.smtpPassword=xxxxx
cuba.email.smtpUser=noreply@xxxxxxx
cuba.email.smtpHost=smtp.gmail.com
cuba.email.fromAddress=donotreply@xxxxxx
cuba.email.smtpPort=587
cuba.email.smtpStarttlsEnable=true
cuba.email.smtpAuthRequired=true
1 Like

By the way, you should know that your e-mail address on Gmail could be banned by Google if you try to use it as e-mail sending mechanism in your applications.

thanks for the feedback guys.

btw is it common that you have to import the certificate manually to the java keystore?

@AlexBudarov i will try your settings later this day. thanks. is there something apart from setting those variables your had to do, to get the mailer working ?

Hello guys, its me again. I got it to work… sort of.

so basically i deployed the application to my Linux Debian test environment Tomcat server, tried connecting to gmail. connection failed because gmail smtp responded that my cuba application is an “unsecure app”. i disabled the “only allow secure apps” within my email account. still same issue.
so i went ahead try an strato email account. Worked brilliant. i am using the following options:

BUT: on my local windows machine where i develop with cuba studio, i still get the same issue. so it seems to be related to maybe my java installation. but on the Linux tomcat test system it works like a charm.

thanks again
best regards
Daniel