CUBA in the Cloud

I know that you guys are working on a cloud version for CUBA, but was wondering if you could give us more details around it? For example, do you plan to have CUBA studio as a cloud version?
Also, for users who want to develop cloud applications, would you recommend a PAAS that works best with CUBA projects? I’ve been considering using bluemix. Bluemix has a Vaadin starter template. Are you considering doing something similar for Bluemix or on another PAAS?

As I said, I’d like to seriously consider Bluemix but before I invest any time, I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you for the interesting question!
The problem can be divided into two parts: first is cloud deployment for CUBA-based applications, and second is Studio (and probably IDE) in the cloud.
The first part is simple - you can deploy your applications to the cloud right now as WAR files - see https://doc.cuba-platform.com/manual-6.0/war_deployment.html. The documentation does not contain step-by-step guides for specific cloud providers yet, but we can assist you if you select one. See also this article explaining how to deploy to Docker containers.
The next version of Studio (end of March) will contain the functionality of “one click deployment” to Jelastic - one of the leading cloud providers. It will simplify things a lot.

The second part - developing applications with Studio in the cloud - is much more complex. We are working on it, but I cannot promise you the exact date when it will be available.

As for your question about choosing a cloud provider - Bluemix will work for you, we have a positive experience with it. But as I mentioned, the automatic deployment from Studio will be implemented first for Jelastic.

Re comment “The next version of Studio (end of March) will contain the functionality of “one click deployment” to Jelastic - one of the leading cloud providers. It will simplify things a lot.”. Is this available now (May)?

Hi Michael,

yes it is. It is part of 2.1 of studio. See What's New in CUBA Platform 6.1 and Studio 2.1 – Jmix for more details about that one…

Bye,
Mario

Thank you. Extremely simple to implement. Brilliant!

A post was split to a new topic: Development in Cloud