CreateAction on nested Datsource in Edit Screen stopped working

It was working, now it doesn’t, don’t really know why, I click on Create Button and get an "IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch"
How do I debug this:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at com.haulmont.chile.core.model.utils.MethodsCache.invokeSetter(MethodsCache.java:59)
	at com.haulmont.chile.core.model.impl.AbstractInstance.setValue(AbstractInstance.java:133)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.core.entity.BaseGenericIdEntity.setValue(BaseGenericIdEntity.java:131)
	at com.haulmont.chile.core.model.impl.AbstractInstance.setValue(AbstractInstance.java:117)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.gui.components.actions.CreateAction.actionPerform(CreateAction.java:240)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.gui.components.WebButton.performAction(WebButton.java:44)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.gui.components.WebButton.lambda$new$61446b05$1(WebButton.java:36)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor195.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at com.vaadin.event.ListenerMethod.receiveEvent(ListenerMethod.java:510)
	at com.vaadin.event.EventRouter.fireEvent(EventRouter.java:200)
	at com.vaadin.event.EventRouter.fireEvent(EventRouter.java:163)
	at com.vaadin.server.AbstractClientConnector.fireEvent(AbstractClientConnector.java:1037)
	at com.vaadin.ui.Button.fireClick(Button.java:377)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.toolkit.ui.CubaButton.fireClick(CubaButton.java:54)
	at com.vaadin.ui.Button$1.click(Button.java:54)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor194.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at com.vaadin.server.ServerRpcManager.applyInvocation(ServerRpcManager.java:158)
	at com.vaadin.server.ServerRpcManager.applyInvocation(ServerRpcManager.java:119)
	at com.vaadin.server.communication.ServerRpcHandler.handleInvocation(ServerRpcHandler.java:442)
	at com.vaadin.server.communication.ServerRpcHandler.handleInvocations(ServerRpcHandler.java:414)
	at com.vaadin.server.communication.ServerRpcHandler.handleRpc(ServerRpcHandler.java:274)
	at com.vaadin.server.communication.UidlRequestHandler.synchronizedHandleRequest(UidlRequestHandler.java:90)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.CubaVaadinServletService$CubaUidlRequestHandler.lambda$synchronizedHandleRequest$0(CubaVaadinServletService.java:314)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.CubaVaadinServletService.withUserSession(CubaVaadinServletService.java:196)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.CubaVaadinServletService$CubaUidlRequestHandler.synchronizedHandleRequest(CubaVaadinServletService.java:314)
	at com.vaadin.server.SynchronizedRequestHandler.handleRequest(SynchronizedRequestHandler.java:41)
	at com.vaadin.server.VaadinService.handleRequest(VaadinService.java:1422)
	at com.vaadin.server.VaadinServlet.service(VaadinServlet.java:384)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.CubaApplicationServlet.serviceAppRequest(CubaApplicationServlet.java:276)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.CubaApplicationServlet.service(CubaApplicationServlet.java:185)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:292)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
	at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.CubaHttpFilter.handleNotFiltered(CubaHttpFilter.java:108)
	at com.haulmont.cuba.web.sys.CubaHttpFilter.doFilter(CubaHttpFilter.java:95)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:212)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)
	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:141)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:616)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:528)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1099)
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:672)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1520)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1476)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Any help apreciated, thanks

Hello

That is what may seem a bug in createAction on nested datasource in a MANY-TO-MANY relationship.
I finally got over it by declaring each related property in both of the participating entities to be the “owning side”.
Don’t really know why.

Hi Pedro,

Could you provide more information on your data model and screen?

Hello Konstantin

It’s a many-to-many relationship between “person” and “local”. It’s a program for local Red Cross, where one person can be at many places (his or her house, hospital, institution) when is to be picked up by an ambulance. And a place can have many people at any time, like local institutions for the elderly.
Well, just the association (to local) created in the person entity worked well, I could create the new local on nested datasource on the person edit screen.
Then I needed to create the reverse association (in the local entity to the person entity). The createAction Stopped working with error above.
I got it to work again, after many tries, by declaring in the datamodel BOTH properties to be the “owning side” of the relation (just one does not work). I still don’t even know what’s the meaning of a many to many relationship in which both sides are the owning side of the relation.
But in this configuration it is working as before.

Thanks,
Pedro

How do you use CreateAction for your many-to-many association? Studio by default generates editor screen that contains AddAction that allows the user to select an existing reference entity from its lookup screen.

BTW many-to-many association makes perfect sense, moreover Studio makes both sides owning when you add an inverse attribute right away when defining the association from the first entity.

Hello Konstantin

Everything done by default in Studio and working with both sides of the relation as owning sides. What seems kind of bugish is that I can uncheck one of the “owning side” in one of the related entities. I’ve done it just now. There’s no warning, compile error, nothing. I then launch the application server, program runs, and if i try to use the createAction I get the above intractable error. Restoring both sides as “owning sides” and everything works again.

Best Regards, Pedro

Hi Pedro,

I still don’t understand how you use CreateAction for your many-to-many association. Studio generates screens with AddAction, and it works without errors regardless of side is owning or not.