Consume 3rd party REST-Service (cuba is client)

Hi all

We have a (I guess) quite common requirement to consume a 3rd party REST-Service.

Particulars:

• We only need to read the service (we don’t have to write anything back)
  • The reading is triggered by a user interaction in the generic UI (button push), and results in standard persisted entities being updated. Persisted if the user presses “save” subsequently.

I was planning to implement this in the client tier. However, a good answer I found in the forum describes implementing this in the middle tier as custom datasource.

Call sequence (In my understanding):

• When implemented in middle tier: client tier --> middle tier --> 3rd party service
  • When implemented in client tier: client tier --> 3rd party service

For our business case, I don’t see the advantages of implementing in the middle tier. Are there advantages?

If implementing on the client tier: Into which jar should the code that consumes the service go? app-gui.jar or app-web.jar?

Cheers
Oliver

1 Like

Hi Oliver,

For our business case, I don’t see the advantages of implementing in the middle tier. Are there advantages?

In my opinion, there are the following points of placing some code at the middle tier:

• if it needs fine-grained transaction control or access to databases through JDBC DataSource or JPA EntityManager
  • if you need it to be accessible from other middleware services or from different clients (web, portal)
  • if it’s a complex thing being developed by a team and you want to ensure nobody accidentally wires it with some presentation logic

Otherwise it’s completely fine to implement your REST client as a Spring bean in the web module and save your entities using DataManager or by invoking some custom service.

If implementing on the client tier: Into which jar should the code that consumes the service go? app-gui.jar or app-web.jar?

Normally, you have only web module in the project, and it buids to app-web.jar. The gui module is a thing from the past when it was a common part between web and desktop clients.

Regards,
Konstantin

1 Like