CommonLookup screen usage in application

Hi,

i just stumbled upon the commonLookup screen in the sources. I am just curious if it is intended to use as a general purpose screen if no particular screen is created for the corresponding entity? Or is it “just” for the internal use within the platform screens?

In case it is, i have a little question. It requires a parameter “class” with type MetaClass. When i want to use it within the main menu, i can set parameters but just of type string. How is it intended to be used in this scenario? (btw. are you interested in pull requests for these kinds of adjustments like supporting additional parameters for the screen)?

Bye,
Mario

Hi Mario,

This screen was intended for internal usage only, sorry for the lack of documentation/javadocs. We cannot guarantee its stability, so please use it only as a sample and create a similar functionality in your project if needed.

are you interested in pull requests for these kinds of adjustments like supporting additional parameters for the screen

Sure, it would be useful. We probably need it for parameters in screens.xml, menu.xml and for meta-annotation values in metadata.xml. We could discuss it here prior to implementation.

Sure, it would be useful. We probably need it for parameters in screens.xml, menu.xml and for meta-annotation values in metadata.xml. We could discuss it here prior to implementation.

So the pull request was an idea in case this is a public common lookup screen. In case it is internal, i would assume the current implementation is how it should be (additionally i’m not really sure where it is used).

I thought about it because in case it would be possible to to use the screen as an application developer, it might be interesting to instead of passing the MetaClass instance just the String name of the meta class, so that it can be accessed from something like the main-menu.xml.

Or did i get you wrong about what you said here?

I thought of a more generic improvement - specifying parameters of different types (not only string) in various XML files. We’ll probably do it anyway sooner or later.