Best approach for creating a new record?

Hello everyone,

I hope someone could point me in the right direction because I have been scratching my head on the best approach.

Using Cuba we have been able to create a basic workflow management app (50 users). These “jobs” can be recurring ,happening every year/month (even though recurring, still distinct records). Instead of manually recreating these jobs we would like to have this happen automatically when one of the jobs is closed. Meaning when a job goes from open to closed if the job has a recurring check mark create a new job using some of the original entries from the last job.

I originally was going to use a trigger in PostgreSQL to create new record, but ran into a road block because our jobs table has a one FK relationship to a forms composition table with a one-to-many relationship. Meaning I would also need to recreate multiple rows in the forms table and admittedly got stuck.

I started to think maybe there is probably an easier way and started to looking through the Cuba manual. We are on 7.1.4.

Could we use an onbeforeupdate listener to create a new record if certain conditions are met?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is the trigger function that works (without the composition table part though :frowning:)

--New Function
 CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION recurringJob()
RETURNS trigger
AS $$
BEGIN
 IF new."status" = 'Closed' and old."status" = 'Open' and new."recurring_job"=true THEN

INSERT INTO public.samplerecurringjobs_job (
"id",
"uuid",
"version",
status,
customer_name,
job_description,
recurring_job,
frequency_id
)
VALUES ( 
New.id+1, 
uuid_generate_v4(),
'Open',
NEW."customer_name",
NEW."job_description",
true,
NEW."frequency_id"
);
END IF;
RETURN NEW;
END $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

ALTER FUNCTION recurringJob() 
--DROP TRIGGER trigger_recurring_job ON "samplerecurringjobs_job";
CREATE TRIGGER trigger_recurring_job AFTER UPDATE OF status 
ON "samplerecurringjobs_job" FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE recurringJob();

Hi @Stephen,
Sure, there are multiple ways to achieve what you need.

1. Entity Listener:

BeforeUpdateEntityListener
onBeforeUpdate() method is called before a record is updated in the database. All kinds of operations can be performed with the current EntityManager available within this method.

It is some sort of database trigger, but at application level. Much like what you implemented at database level.

1. Transaction Listener
    A “more complex” trigger, enabling to work with multiple entities at the same time.

2. Scheduled task
    Instead of implementing a “trigger”, you can run periodically a task to identify job types that do not have at least one open task/job. This last solution is more flexible because you can wait some time and/or conditions before creating the new record.

Regards,
Peterson.